Best Ever Southern Peach Cobbler is the simple recipe of your dreams. Fresh sweet peaches baked in a spiced sugar mixture and topped with the most amazing cobbler topping. Sprinkled with sugar for a caramelized topping it is heaven on a plate.
Living in Southwestern Florida for so many years I developed an appreciation for many Southern things (not really the south, but a lot of Southern exposure). One of which is Southern desserts such as pies, crisps, and cobblers.
None have stuck with me quite as much as this recipe that my friend Mary shared with me, long after I moved to Arizona.
The peach mixture is luscious and creamy. The cobbler is absolutely divine. It is crisp on the outside and cakey on the inside. Served along side a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ll be in heaven.
This cobbler transports me to a small Southern town, where your neighbor bakes you a fresh cobbler with peaches they picked off their tree.
You sit on your porch drinking iced tea watching the sunset. Your kids play out front with the neighborhood kids and you haven’t a worry in the world.
You leave your front door open during the day and sleep with the windows open at night.
Helpful Tips to make Best Ever Southern Peach Cobbler:
- Be sure to adjust your oven temperature if you are using glass pans or dark pans. Then cook faster so reduce your temperature by 25°.
- You can cut in flour with a pastry blender, a fork or 2 butter knives.
What you will need to make Best Ever Southern Peach Cobbler:
- 9×13 Glass Baking Dish- I have my favorites and this set is one of them. The 9×13 is perfect for casseroles and the smaller size is awesome for making 1/2 a casserole recipe.
- Large Bowl-
- Pastry Blender-
BEST EVER SOUTHERN PEACH COBBLER
- 8 fresh peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For Cobbler Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (if you are using a dark or glass pan – 425°F if you are using a light color pan).
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare cobbler topping: in a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
- Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them.
- Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar. Set your baking dish on a baking sheet (this cobbler can drip into the oven otherwise). Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Top with ice cream if desired. Serve and enjoy!!
other recipe articles : Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies